Monday, October 12, 2009

Typhoon, Knitting and baby shower, oh my!




The past week or so have been interesting. First, we had a major typhoon heading our way. The base was closed down for 36 hours. The commissary closed, the NEX closed, the movie theater closed- all in preparation for this big storm. We made sure that we were stocked up on batteries, candles, water, food that didn't require cooking, etc. We stayed up late Wednesday night waiting for the typhoon to roll in. By the time we got some sleep around 4am or so, the wind had just started to turn into a breeze. That's all. The typhoon was supposed to get to us around 6am, so we went to sleep thinking, "Wow. This storm is supposed to be here in 2 hours and it's this calm out? That means it's going to hit fast and it's going to hit HARD."

We woke up at around 11am the next morning to rays of sunshine coloring the bedroom. I got up and looked outside to see what I thought was the "eye" of the storm.
Surely it couldn't be gone by now... We were still under Navy commanded "house arrest"for another 5 hours. This was just the calm in the middle of the storm, right? Wrong. That was it. That was the big typhoon. Here's what it looked like outside- Seriously, the prettiest day we'd had for 2 weeks.
Also, I've been "lucky" enough to get pregnancy-induced Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which means knitting is hard on my wrists something fierce. Also, for the past few weeks, I've had to wear wrist braces to bed or else wake up with throbbing arms several times a night. No complaints, just what has to be done to get our son here... But I must admit, it's been a bit disappointing. I've wanted to knit so many things for him since the day we found out he was coming and it's been nearly impossible to. Somehow, I got a bit lucky and the CTS has worn off enough for me to be able to knit again! We're going to cloth diaper this little guy, so I'm knitting covers for him to wear. Here's my first of many, I'm sure. I love it. Such a quick, fun knit... And it sure is cute :) I'm going to be ordering more yarn to make some more.
Also, I don't have many friends here. Really, I don't. One of the people I hung out with the most moved a few months ago leaving me with, really, just one friend. I'm not a social person so it really doesn't bother me all that much, but I was feeling a bit sad that I'd miss a baby shower... Only I won't be missing one because my only friend here is throwing me a
shower :) It's going to be a bunch of women who I pretty much only know on a first name basis, but apparently they're always excited to welcome a brand new baby so it seems we'll have a good turn out. Wish you could all come. Really, I do! :( But not to fear!! Bekah is the awesomest and is throwing me an online shower that you're all invited to! Seriously, you're so awesome, Bekah! Muah!















1 comment:

MorningSun said...

Thank goodness! The typhoon did not stop by and say hello to you all. Smile! I'll miss your Baby Shower, but my thoughts will be with you and Liam. I'm sure,you will have a great time. Take care and have fun at the party.