Friday, March 27, 2009

Yesterday's project

We've been on a search for a nice nightstand for a few weeks now. We even went to IKEA which is known for it's affordable furniture. We only found things for over $50 and they weren't even that nice. Blake's side of the bed doesn't really need anything because all his has on it is a lamp and a book. Mine, on the other hand, is always covered in books, lip balm, hair ties, knitting patterns, needles, a project, magazines, etc. What I had been using for a nightstand was one of those round, $10 tables with three legs from Wal-Mart. I remember getting them when I was first living on my own in my studio apartment. I painted a set of two bright blue because my whole place was very eclectic and bright blue seemed to fit. They don't really fit now and offer no storage space so my side of the bed has always been a bit messy.

Yesterday I went down to the thrift store on base and found this nasty little table. It had potential, but was also covered in scratches, marker, and a fine coat of dirt, dust, and grime. I just HAD to have it. $10 later, I was driving home in my little green car with this little table in tow.
On the way home, I stopped to get a $3 can of spray paint. When I got home, I gathered my materials: Painter's tape, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, baking soda, sandpaper, and a knitted dishcloth. First I just cleaned all the dust off. The most intensive part was cleaning off the top tiles as they were pretty gross.

Anyways, about 90 minutes later, I had myself a nice little nightstand! The paint at the top looks weird but that's just because the sun is hitting it at a weird angle. It's all solid colored in real life :-)

Now I have a nice, neat little area by the side of the bed to hide all my mess! Um, please ignore Oliver. He's my shadow. I tried for a little while to get him out of the picture, but he wouldn't listen :-P

4 comments:

Rafeal and Stephanie said...

That looks really nice!!! Great work :D

MorningSun said...

You did a good job on that night stand! That's amazing! A cheap piece of furniture looks so nice and expensive after giving it a TLC. I like it. You're just like the lady I know. Smart buyer and practical! Love you!

MorningSun said...

Oh, by the way, I like your shadow. He is so cute and adorable!

Justin and Bekah said...

Wow! Good job! I like that table...Seems like it can hold a lot underneath...I need one of those:P