Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas in Japan


Hi everyone! Haven't updated this blog for a while due to computer/internet issues. Hopefully, they're all resolved so we can get back to posting stories and pictures! Speaking of which, that is a picture from a couple weeks ago right before we went to Blake's Christmas party.

Our Christmas was quiet, just the 2 (4?) of us. We slept in, made turkey dinner, and then hung out at home all day- just us and the pups. The boys enjoyed their own Christmas plates of turkey and all the fixings, too! Ivan got completely sick the next day though- so he's back to a strictly dog food diet! (Very strange for him. Being an ex-street dog, he can normally handle any food that comes his way- inadvertently or otherwise)

DID YOU KNOW THAT... in Japan, Christmas is widely celebrated. Japan is a Buddhist/Shinto nation, but they sure do love their Christmas! Stores have been decorated since the beginning of December in "Happy Merry Christmas" signs and tons of Christmas lights. They even play instrumental Christmas music in the stores. We were surprised to find that out! Funny thing is they don't celebrate Christmas day as much as they do Christmas eve.

Turkey is not a common meat in this country- not even on sandwiches. Some Japanese adults who visit restaurants on the base have their very first turkey meat well into their adulthood. The "meat of choice" for Christmas is chicken. Our tour guide on our aforementioned Miyagase trip said that chicken is what everyone eats on Christmas eve- you have to MAKE RESERVATIONS to get chicken from KFC. Blake and I joked about buying a bucket of chicken from the Popeye's Chicken place on base and "scalping" wings and a drumstick for 600 yen right outside the busy KFCs in town ;) That would have been fun haha

DID YOU ALSO KNOW THAT... Today is our three year wedding anniversary :) We are going to a fancy little Chinese restaurant for dinner. From what we've heard, they don't have any English (or roman alphabet, for that matter), so I made ourselves a cheat sheet that has the kanji for "chicken", "beef", and "pork" so that we don't end up accidentally ordering horse. Yes, horse. It's served here.

After dinner, I think we might make our way to a Starbucks (in town, of course) because that is where we first met for a lunch date, after all :)


"Love is a promise, love is a souvenir, once given never forgotten, never let it disappear."
Dad, I'll give you a nickel if you can tell me who said that. Actually, I'll send you 5 Yen!

5 comments:

Rafeal and Stephanie said...

YAy! You are back! I am happy to see it is working again :D Happy Anniversary to the both of you. :) I am really happy to hear things are going well. Have you gotten the package I sent? Everyone in Virginia says "Hi and Happy New Year!" Love you guys!

coffeecup said...

Who said that ??? Maybe it was me (sounds like something I'd say) or maybe it was Mr Furley. Either way it's a dazzling sentiment.

MorningSun said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you had a great time celebrating it. Happy New Year! I didn't know Japan celebrates Christmas, too! Chicken is their traditional meal on Christmas day! Thank you very much for posting and sharing interesting things on your blog.I'll be looking forward for more. Take good care of yourselves, love and take each other. Love Me, Him and Them very much.

Justin and Bekah said...

Uum...Happy Anniversary! Probably should've posted this yesterday, but I'm a lil slow don't ya know...Nice pic of you two - very cute:) What are you guys doing for New Years - Isn't that really big over there or something? love ya

Justin and Bekah said...

Ok. So obviously we're not "dad" but J and I came up with 2 answers to the quote. We totally think it was something said by an older band group (Beach Boys, Beatles, etc...) or someone that plays for the Seahawk's team (I personally vote for answer one)...You directed it to your dad and I know those are two things he enjoys...So...Tell me later who actually said that and if we're close! And if we are, do we get 5 yen?! We didn't get a specific name but my mentioning the groups above, I think it still counts;)