Monday, November 3, 2008

Smash Mouth concert!


So back in 1999 when the radio station KGOT finally started coming in on my bedroom radio, I started listening to music. Smash Mouth instantly became one of my favorite bands at that time. Who'd have thought I'd get to see them live from (practically) my back yard here in Japan? They did a tour through all the military bases in Japan and we were the last stop on their list. As soon as they came out and started playing, I felt like a little 16 year old freak again screaming and singing until I lost my voice. Oops!

Even Blake had a good time. He said that I'd be the only one interested in their concert, but I think a couple hundred people were there all screaming and enjoying themselves. It was open gate day meaning that all the locals were allowed on base for the show and food booths after being subjected to a car and purse search. It's amazing how many of them knew the words. I was surprised. Anyways, during the show, the singer spotted a boy sporting a "Smash Mouth ROCKS!" poster and pulled him up. They sang together for a while, but then the singer handed the boy his sunglasses and the microphone then sat down on the stage leaving the boy alone to keep the crowd going. Needless to say, everyone was screaming and hollering for the boy. He was adorable.. He stood there looking absolutely confused for a few moments, then he held the mic to his mouth and yelled "I want to hear you make some noise!!!!! Yeaaaaahhh!" We were all laughing and screaming for him. He was too cute :-D
We ended up being pretty close to the stage. I think this is probably the best photo I got of the singer. What a perfect day- look at the blue sky! You hardly ever see blue skies where we live!
This is the guitarist Leroy. Rumor has it that he's got a face under all that hair.

4 comments:

Rafeal and Stephanie said...

OMG! That looks like SOOO much fun! I am glad you guys were able to catch them in concert. You almost never hear them anymore. Pretty neat they are traveling around to different military bases. I am sure it was a nice change of pace. I am on the look out for more trip photos!
XOXO

Lois and Jon said...

You know, I'd heard they were big in Japan...hehe

MorningSun said...

Hey, guys, Thanks for the "Smash Mouth Concert photos." I've never heard about them before. I wonder how the guitarist with a long hair that covers his face looks like? Are you sure, he has a face behind those long hair? I like his hair, though! I'm so glad that you and Blake had a great day and enjoyed the concert. Wow, I amazed that the concert was a few steps where you live. Take care of yourselves and be happy.

coffeecup said...

Hey Now! You're a rock fan!