Whew, it's the end of a busy holiday weekend and everything went very well! As you read before, we had 3 Japanese ladies over for dinner. Two of them were my students and the third was a friend of theirs who speaks pretty good English! Funny thing is that by the end of the night, she told me that she wanted to take English lessons with me! Now I have three students and that means more and more lessons. Yay!
Anyways, dinner was too fun. One lady hadn't had Thanksgiving food before but the other two had. It was funny having to explain all the dishes as I put them out. They understood turkey, gravy, and potatoes easily, but they had a hard time understanding what exactly stuffing is. The best was that they were completely baffled by the cranberries. "Is it dessert? Is it side dish?" We told them it wasn't a dessert.. It's a side, blah blah blah so they said, "OH! So it's dessert!" Okay, whatever. It's dessert. lol
At the end of the meal, they were all about to burst... then we brought out the pies. Following the example of us Americans, they buckled down and each of them had one slice of pumpkin pie followed by apple pie. It was too funny watching them eat- they were completely stuffed, but smiling and "oooh! Ahhhh"ing all the food.
We gave them to-go plates and they loaded up on everything to bring home to their families. We had to open a can of cranberries for them to bring home- they absolutely LOVED it.
We all had a great time and I have a group lesson this Friday with them all so that's going to be fun. Group lessons are more fun than one on one, I think. Also, next Saturday Blake and I are meeting them to go to the Edo-Tokyo Museum.
Should be fun!
5 comments:
Yay! Yup, that's us Americans for ya...Keep eatin even when you're full! lol. I'm glad things went well - and cranberries is kinda like a dessert I guess...It reminds me of jell-o. haha. Congrats on picking up a new student and have fun at the museum next week - it looks like a good one:)
That is wonderful! We also had several newbies at our Thanksgiving feast, all from England, and they tried everything.
The sweet potatoes and green been casserole were both new to them, and they'd also never had pumpkin pie (they call all their desserts "puddings").
Congrats on a great sounding meal !!!
Mom & I had dinner at Abigail's with Craig's folks and David, Wendy and the 4 boys. Later in the day, Deb, Adrienne, Kevin, and then Jim & family came over.
We ate the traditional stuff - and STUFFED the traditional food into us!
We love you and miss you both.
Dad & Mom I
Uum...It's been a month!! I always check your page to see if you posted something new....*hint, hint* :)
Hey, yeah! Any blog updates for your fans?? :)
Post a Comment