Tuesday, June 3, 2008

And the "Worst Teacher of the Year" award goes to....

None other than yours truly.

I was sleeping this morning when my cell phone began to ring and woke me up. I saw the name: Ishiko. "Oh $@%^!!!!!!" I totally forgot that I had a lesson with her and my other student Reiko this morning. I picked up and she just told me that she was at the train station (about 5 minutes away) and waiting for me. I told her I was on my way. I hurried and brushed my teeth, washed my face, threw on some clothes and sandals and jetted out the door. It was pouring rain. Lovely day for sandals.

I drove there in record time (No, mom, of course I wasn't speeding .....) and picked them up. They were both cold because their teacher forgot about them. I felt so bad. Best thing was I parked a few blocks away so we had to run back to the car in the rain! I wouldn't mind that myself, but I felt awful that they had to deal with the walk and rain. Right before we got to the gate, I asked for their photo IDs. Wouldn't you know it: Reiko forgot hers in her car! I managed to talk our way on the base anyway, promising she'd stay with me the whole time she was on base.

When we got home, I saw that Blake (who had been on his way home for lunch as I ran out the door) had picked up the bits of mess in the living room and even made tea for them. It was sweet of him :) He went back to work, then the lesson started. It's funny having them both together for a lesson. Reiko wants more conversation while Ishiko wants to practice her listening skills. So Reiko and I chat (slowly) and Ishiko hangs on to every word. After about an hour, we headed over to the food court where Reiko and I enjoyed pizza (she was SO excited) and Ishiko enjoyed a subway sandwich. It's funny- Reiko is obsessed with all things American. She absolutely loves the food, culture, country, and people. When she got in my car, she even said, "Oh! It smells so good! Smells American!!!" hahaha That made me laugh! I have a Yankee Candle air freshener in there, by the way.

Reiko brought me candy. Isn't it pretty? It's eaten during traditional Japanese tea ceremonies. There are bits of sugar crystals in there. The solid shapes (aren't they darling?!) taste odd. I don't know what they are, exactly, but they're pretty good!

Despite the fact that I forgot to pick them up, the rain, and the fact that Reiko forgot her ID, our lesson and afternoon together was wonderful :)

2 comments:

MorningSun said...

Lol! You're the best teacher in the whole Japan. Nice, sweet,generous and considerate person. You're not bad at all... just forgetful(sometimes). Everything went all right and you all had a fun day. Hahaha. The candies look delicious! Take care and Ilove you.

Rafeal and Stephanie said...

Haha! This is cute! I am glad to hear that everything turned out to be fine! Cute story to tell though :D. I am guessing your mama is morningsun? I agree with her about the candies, they do look mighty yummy! Oh I should email you this...but I am kinda tired at the moment..so- Rafeal and I have been working on our blog! Check it out. I know it is a work in progress.. LOve you!