Happy 2008!!
*** NOTE: Click on any photo to view it in it's original bigger size!!***
Blake and I were trying to decide what to do for New Years Eve, but couldn't come up with anything fun, so around 9:45pm on the 31st, we took the dogs out for a walk. On our walk, some of our friends called us and asked if we wanted to go to Shibuya because they have a "New York Times Square" type of deal there. We said, "We'll meet you at the train station!!!" If you went to our picture sharing site that we used to have, you'll probably remember pictures from Shibuya- It's got the busiest crosswalk in all of Japan. Anyhow, we got on the train and arrived in Shibuya about an hour later. We followed the sounds and noise and eventually made our way to said crosswalk and it was just SOOOO crowded- the streets were full of drunk Japanese, Russians, Germans, and Americans! I don't know where everyone came from, but it was weird standing there hearing several different languages being spoken.
Anyways, everyone on the street was screaming and jumping and so completely excited. The funny thing is, unlike Time Square in NYC, there was no ball to watch- there were no TVs on. We had no idea how close we were to 2008 unless we looked at our cell phones! As we're all standing around confused out of our minds, we saw a bus drive by with a countdown in it's window. "28-27-26..." Everyone started screaming and counting down (in English, mind you). Before we knew it, everyone was screaming "HAPPY NEW YAH!!!!! HAPPY NEW YAH!!!" People set off little poppers and noise makers, then streamers started flying around us. After a couple minutes, we saw people screaming and jumping with their hands over their head. We realized that all they were doing was crossing the road. I guess crossing the road at the New Year's celebration is totally exciting and happy! We decided that maybe we should cross the street too. It was CROWDED. I clung on to Blake so I could hopefully keep up to him, but all of a sudden he was going one way and I was well behind.
Things started to quiet down after we headed to a different corner. People were walking by and saying "Happy New Yah" to us, of course. Then we saw him. Mr. Wedgie man and his crew!!! YES! I don't know what he was, really, but I personally think that he rules.
We ended up going to a Karaoke bar afterwards. There were 6 of us (Blake and 2 guys from the AIMD with wives). Karaoke is pretty fun. They have books and books of songs. You get put in your own little soundproof booth and use the phone to order drinks and food. Blake and I weren't hungry and we don't realy drink alcohol, so we just stuck with mizu (water).
I don't have any decent pictures of the karaoke place, otherwise I'd post them. Now that we know how karaoke works, I'm sure we'll go again, so I'll post pictures of that later :)
Anyways, Happy New Year. Hope the year brings you everything you want and more :)
2 comments:
HAPPY NEW YAH! I'm sure you had a great time at Shibuya. What a memorable New Year for you two. Thank you for sharing with me how Japanese celebrates the New Year. There was no giant ball or fireworks and yet they were so excited to welcome 2008. They were really wonderful people. Blake, those Japanese men were got excited when they saw you because, they were short. Hahaha. I couldn't stop laughing at Mr. Wedgie! Good job! I enjoyed reading your blog. Love Me, Him and Them
How come you guys didn't wear a cool little red suits with the gold undies too?! Awesome! Glad you guys had fun:)
Post a Comment